Medicare’s annual election period starts on October 15th and ends December 7th. During this open enrollment period, Medicare consumers face a barrage of marketing activity. California Health Advocates has released this helpful alert on how to avoid Medicare fraud that you may want to share with your clients.
It includes Handy Tips to Avoid Medicare Fraud:Never give out your Medicare card information on the phone to strangers
- Guard your Medicare card as you would you credit card or ATM card
- Never return calls asking you to divulge your Medicare or social security number
- Asking for your bank account information is not part of Medicare
- Beware of anything Medicare-related which looks too good to be true
- Do not discuss Medicare with a door-to-door salesman
- Do not accept gifts in return for Medicare information
- Medicare will NEVER phone you or come to your home
- Always review Medicare Summary Notices and Explanation of Benefits
Get the full alert from California Health Advocates here.